Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Full backups and off-sites

2011-09-19 08:04:58
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Full backups and off-sites
From: Alan Brown <ajb2 AT mssl.ucl.ac DOT uk>
To: Wouter Verhelst <wouter AT nixsys DOT be>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 13:02:19 +0100
Wouter Verhelst wrote:

> Is it possible to have bacula base its incremental backups not on the
> most recent full backup, but on the one preceding that?

Only if you setup seperate jobs.

> This way, you
> can have your most recent full backup off-site, yet you should still be
> able to restore the most recent version of a file, even if that tape
> just happens to be off-site, without having to retrive them from the
> off-site location.

Investing in a _good_ fireproof data safe isn't expensive compared with
the cost of the other equipment ($500-$7000, depending on requirements)

A fully certified one can handle 2 hours at 1200C, survive a drop of 10
metres and then another hour burning and 24-48 hours cooldown without
the internal temperature exceeding 60C

Check out http://www.phoenixsafeusa.com/

As a matter of policy: Your backup equipment should be isolated from the
rest of the data centre, preferably in a separate building and at least
in a separate room with its own fire supression setup. I know this isn't
always practical but it's something you should shoot for when setting
things up.