Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Avoid duplicate files

2011-09-15 14:58:28
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Avoid duplicate files
From: Eric Bollengier <eric.bollengier AT baculasystems DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 20:55:59 +0200
Hello Rodrigo,

On 09/15/2011 06:54 PM, Rodrigo Renie Braga wrote:
> Sorry, I really wasn't clear enough...
>
> What I meant was that, in case of a Full Backup of a FileServer running
> Samba (which is my case), there are SEVERAL files on that server that
> are the same, they are just coped on several different folders (from
> different projects). I wanted to know if there was a way for Bacula
> automatically check for duplicated files before sending them to the
> Storage Daemon (maybe don't send the entire file, just a reference to
> the original identical file).
>
> But your last comment answered my question, Bacula doesn't support it...

Bacula doesn't support that directly, but you have several ways to do
that. For example, you can let the system handle these files as it
should, using Symlinks or Hardlinks. But they are no longer different,
and if a user wants to modify his version, both will be impacted. (Note
that it's not really a problem for many file type such as ISO, EXE, etc...)

As Bacula can compute checksums on all files, you can generate a list
very quickly without impacting your server, but just using the Catalog.

Bye

--
Need professional help and support for Bacula ?
Visit http://www.baculasystems.com