Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Avoid duplicate files

2011-09-15 10:25:11
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Avoid duplicate files
From: Konstantin Khomoutov <flatworm AT users.sourceforge DOT net>
To: Rodrigo Renie Braga <rodrigorenie AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 18:23:03 +0400
On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 10:48:31 -0300
Rodrigo Renie Braga <rodrigorenie AT gmail DOT com> wrote:

> Is there an option on Bacula that makes it checks for duplicate files
> (using MD5 or any other hash) in order to send only ONE file to the
> Storage Daemon?
>
> That would save me a few GB of space on my tapes, higher processing
> on the bacula server is not a problem.
It's not clear what do you want in fact.

Incremental and differential backups are supposed to transfer only
modified files.

Then there are "base jobs" which can be used to define a minimal subset
of files which is supposed to be the same for several clients; this
also can be used to transfer only missing/changed files during backups.

If you're trying to formulate something like "FD-side deduplication", I
think it's not possible (and I doubt it'll ever be).