Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Segmentation fault of Storage Daemon when client is not available

2011-09-02 10:44:47
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Segmentation fault of Storage Daemon when client is not available
From: Martin Simmons <martin AT lispworks DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2011 15:42:28 +0100

> Hi,
>
> We've been seeing our Bacula Storage Daemon die with a segmentation
> fault when a client can't be reached for backup.  We have two servers
> and have observed this behavior on both of them.  Some searching has
> revealed that others seem to have (or had) this same issue.
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/bacula/+bug/622742

That looks similar to some existing bacula bug reports:

http://bugs.bacula.org/view.php?id=1568
http://bugs.bacula.org/view.php?id=1343

> The behavior is not consistent i.e. sometimes it continues on working
> normally if a client can't be contacted but eventually it'll snag on one
> and die.  In addition, I've now had one of our storage daemons running
> in the foreground with debugging set to the max and of course, that one
> has now gone two days without seg faulting even though there have been
> half a dozen non-responsive clients.
>
> We're currently running 5.0.3 built from source for both clients and
> servers.  I'm wondering if anyone else here has experienced this problem
> and/or has any pointers to a work around.  While things can be set up to
> automatically restart the storage daemon if it dies, the main problem is
> that any backups Bacula was in the middle of doing end with an error and
> have to be manually rescheduled/run or just wait until the next time
> their job comes up to run.

I suggest you run the storage daemon under gdb and get a backtrace from the
seg fault as described here:

http://www.bacula.org/5.0.x-manuals/en/problems/problems/What_Do_When_Bacula.html#SECTION00640000000000000000

__Martin