Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Segmentation fault of Storage Daemon when client is not available

2011-09-02 10:23:09
Subject: [Bacula-users] Segmentation fault of Storage Daemon when client is not available
From: Thomas Lohman <thomasl AT mtl.mit DOT edu>
To: "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2011 10:19:40 -0400
Hi,

We've been seeing our Bacula Storage Daemon die with a segmentation
fault when a client can't be reached for backup.  We have two servers
and have observed this behavior on both of them.  Some searching has
revealed that others seem to have (or had) this same issue.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/bacula/+bug/622742

The behavior is not consistent i.e. sometimes it continues on working
normally if a client can't be contacted but eventually it'll snag on one
and die.  In addition, I've now had one of our storage daemons running
in the foreground with debugging set to the max and of course, that one
has now gone two days without seg faulting even though there have been
half a dozen non-responsive clients.

We're currently running 5.0.3 built from source for both clients and
servers.  I'm wondering if anyone else here has experienced this problem
and/or has any pointers to a work around.  While things can be set up to
automatically restart the storage daemon if it dies, the main problem is
that any backups Bacula was in the middle of doing end with an error and
have to be manually rescheduled/run or just wait until the next time
their job comes up to run.

thanks,

--tom