Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] performance problem - Windows & TLS

2011-08-23 16:09:47
Subject: [Bacula-users] performance problem - Windows & TLS
From: kamilfurman <bacula-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 10:07:36 -0700
Hello

After enabling TLS, I've noticed significant performance drawback.
I've made some tests for both Linux (Fedora 13) and Windows XP clients. I've
used
250MB tar archive. One file. No compression.

BACKUP:
Windows     TLS          850   kB/s
Windows     NO_TLS     8500  kB/s
Linux          TLS          9274   kB/s
Linux          NO_TLS    10819 kB/s

RESTORE:
Windows    TLS           5645 kB/s
Windows    NO_TLS      8114 kB/s
Linux           TLS           5409 kB/s
Linux           NO_TLS      5901 kB/s

As you can see, Windows backup with TLS enabled is 10 times slower than backup
without TLS.
On Linux clients I didn't notice this problem. I checked it few times, also
with other PC.
During backup client CPU load was around 1%. So I don't thing it's hardware
problem.

I've also copied tar archive from Windows client to backup storage server
(using CIFS) - 16 MB/s.

Am I missing somthing? Did you have simillar problems?
What can cause this slowdown? Is it normal?
How can I improve performance?

Thanks in advance.
Kamil