Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] What does exactly bacula do when tape is loaded?

2011-08-22 15:36:02
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] What does exactly bacula do when tape is loaded?
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 15:33:55 -0400
On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 11:46 AM, toldiasz
<bacula-forum AT backupcentral DOT com> wrote:
> Hello,
> I got restore job (for example) which loads tape to the drive. After loading
> what does exactly happen? I think that 2 scenarios are possible but I can't
> find any confirmation in documentation how does it happen.
> First one:
> 1.Bacula rewinds to the begging of the tape.
> 2.Reads label to confirm that correct tape is loaded.
> 3.Rewind to the sector of data to be restored.
> 4.Restoring.
> 5.Rewind to the end of tape after restore.
> Second one:
> 1.Bacula is already at the beginning of the tape
> 2.Reads label to confirm that correct tape is loaded.
> 3.Rewind to the sector of data to be restored.
> 4.Restoring.
> 5.Rewinds to the beginning of the tape.
>
> Is one of the cases that I wrote is correct or maybe it happens in some other
> way? Is there any documentation to confirm it.

5 is wrong in both cases. The tape does not get rewound after the
operation unless you have bacula ofline it or you are wrongly using
the rewinding device /dev/st0 instead of /dev/nst0.

I would expect bacula to do the first one always since that may be
needed for double reel tapes. For single reel tapes (DLT, LTO) the
tape is always at the beginning when you insert however no harm will
be done to rewind then.

John