Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] FD can't communicate With SD !?

2011-08-18 06:36:07
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] FD can't communicate With SD !?
From: Geert Stappers <Geert.Stappers AT vanadgroup DOT com>
To: "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 12:33:05 +0200
Please allow people to read in the discusion order.

Op 20110818 om 06:10 schreef sabrina:
> [...]

Back to:
> >> I can't telnet from the client on the server only on port 9103.

Fix that.

Go to the "client:
Have a working telnet client program.
Verify that the telnet programm actually works.
Example given, on a host that response to port 22:
  $ telnet shell.xs4all.nl 22
  Trying 194.109.21.8...
  Connected to shell.xs4all.nl.
  Escape character is '^]'.
  SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_5.1p1 Debian-5
  <!--  here I typed 'Hi' + [enter] -->
  Protocol mismatch.
  Connection closed by foreign host.
  $
That is what you should see.
Now you known the telnet program works and your firewall allows SSH.

Now check that the bacula-fd computer can connect the bacula-sd.
Assumed is that the bacula storage daemon is at host toto.example.org
and listens on port 9103
  $ telnet toto.example.org 9103
  Trying 20.11.8.18...
  Connected to m1.data.vanadcc.nl.
  Escape character is '^]'.
  <!--  here I typed 'Hi' + [enter] -->
  Connection closed by foreign host.
  $
Being able to type 'Hi' and [enter] and
getting 'Connection closed by foreign host.' as response is good.

Getting 'Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused' is
also good, but in different meaning, you found something that is wrong.
It means that the client can not connect to storage deamon,
further action on your side is need.

Take your time to perform the checks
and especial take care for providing feedback.

Cheers
Geert Stappers