Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Save to run clients with version 2.4 together with director and storage with version 5.x?

2011-08-16 11:33:23
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Save to run clients with version 2.4 together with director and storage with version 5.x?
From: Bob Hetzel <beh AT case DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 11:29:55 -0400

> Hello,
>
> just a simple question: is it save to run director and storages in
> version 5.X together with clients with version 2.4? Background is, I
> have to update director and storages sooner or later since more and more
> of the clients  come with version 5.X when installed.  But  it is
> impossible for me to update all clients simultaneously. So I want to
> leave the clients in version 2.4 an upgrade only the director and the
> storage-daemons.
>
> Kind regards
>
> J?rg Model

I believe your 2.4 bacula-fd clients will not be able to connect to the 5.x
director.  You'll get an error that will not tell you exactly that the
problem is 'version skew' but that's the issue.  I believe 3.0.3 fd clients
will be able to work with the 5.0 director and sd.  The added wrinkle to
this is that the 5.x bacula-fd client will not properly connect to the 3.x
director/sd, so you'll have to plan your upgrade carefully or just
understand that you'll have to go back and update the clients that are
failing before you'll get any more backups of them.