Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] FileStorage strategy

2011-08-16 09:12:45
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] FileStorage strategy
From: Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 09:09:51 -0400
On 08/16/11 03:39, Lyn Amery wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm just getting started with Bacula and wondering about the best strategy
> for setting up file storage naming.  Is there a best practice, perhaps,
> or do people have suggestions?
>
> I have about 15 systems to back up to about 8 TB of disk.  I know
> that I could create a single volume - labelled say, BIG - or I
> could go to the other extreme and have a a daily volume for each
> system, e.g. ServerA_Monday, ServerB_Tuesday.  I was thinking of either
> one for each system (ServerA, ServerB, etc) or by using "Use Volume Once",
> having something like ServerA001, ServerA002, ServerB001, etc.  My only
> reasoning for this is to try and keep things simple.  Is there any
> advantage to having lots of small files as compared to a few large ones?

Creating a single volume like this would be a very bad idea.  It would
grow either until it hit whatever volume size limit you set, or until it
filled up the available disk space, at which point you would be unable
to run any new backup jobs until either all of the backups passed their
retention date or you manually purged the volume.

For what it's worth, I find the best strategy - for me and my needs, of
course - is to allocate new date-labelled volumes with no size limit but
a 23h limited volume use duration, each volume holding a single day's
jobs.  Thus every job in each volume expires at once, at which time
Bacula automatically purges them and moves them into my scratch pool,
from where an admin job deletes the purged volumes once a week.

co.ordinate DOT org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.