Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] FileStorage strategy

2011-08-16 04:01:29
Subject: [Bacula-users] FileStorage strategy
From: Lyn Amery <lyn AT gaiaresources.com DOT au>
To: Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 15:39:28 +0800 (WST)
Hi all,

I'm just getting started with Bacula and wondering about the best strategy
for setting up file storage naming.  Is there a best practice, perhaps,
or do people have suggestions?

I have about 15 systems to back up to about 8 TB of disk.  I know
that I could create a single volume - labelled say, BIG - or I
could go to the other extreme and have a a daily volume for each
system, e.g. ServerA_Monday, ServerB_Tuesday.  I was thinking of either
one for each system (ServerA, ServerB, etc) or by using "Use Volume Once",
having something like ServerA001, ServerA002, ServerB001, etc.  My only
reasoning for this is to try and keep things simple.  Is there any
advantage to having lots of small files as compared to a few large ones?

Thanks for any feedback.

Cheers,
Lyn
--