Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Performance with many files

2011-08-11 11:43:29
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Performance with many files
From: Adrian Reyer <bacula-lists AT lihas DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 17:40:47 +0200
On Fri, Jul 08, 2011 at 08:30:17AM +0200, Adrian Reyer wrote:
> Speed improved many many times. My incremental backup finished after
> just 10 minutes while it took 2h earlier.

This had been the benefit of using InnoDB over MyISAM. However, at 12GB
RAM and 89000000 File entries (12GB file on disk) it became slow again
and I took the step to convert to PostgreSQL.
While I only gave 8GB of memory to PostgreSQL it is quite a bit faster
so far. A full backup that took <1day 1 month ago with less entries in the
database was up to >3 days on MySQL this month. With PostgreSQL it had
been down to <1day again.
The hardware is the same system with 16GB RAM it has been before, serving
as an iSCSI-storage for enhancing the bacula-sd residing on some other
box the same time. The import read the dump at a constant 2MB/s whicht I
regarded somewhat slow, but I think the 'constant' is the important part
here. I did the migration with Bacula manual and
http://mtu.net/~jpschewe/blog/2010/06/migrating-bacula-from-mysql-to-postgresql/

Just to throw in some numbers that might help others.

Regards,
        Adrian
--
LiHAS - Adrian Reyer - Hessenwiesenstraße 10 - D-70565 Stuttgart
Fon: +49 (7 11) 78 28 50 90 - Fax:  +49 (7 11) 78 28 50 91