Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula Upgrade from Debian Lenny to Squeeze (2.4.4 to 5.0.2)

2011-08-05 12:23:45
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula Upgrade from Debian Lenny to Squeeze (2.4.4 to 5.0.2)
From: C M Reinehr <cmr AT amsent DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2011 11:21:28 -0500
On Fri 05 August 2011 11:05:54 am Henry Jensen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> we are about to upgrade our servers from Debian Lenny to Squeeze which
> includes an upgrade from Bacula 2.4.4 to 5.0.2.
>
> We have one Bacula director running with PosgreSQL as database backend
> and two with sqlite3.
>
> Had anyone the same combination and did an upgrade? Are there any
> issues I must be aware of? Are the databases converted correctly?
>
> Can the Bacula 2.4.4 file daemon talk to the 5.0.2 director? - I know
> that the 5.0.2  file daemon can't talk to the 2.4.4 director which is
> why I use a forward-ported 2.4.4 file daemon on the already upgraded
> machines.
>
> A web search showed up only some bug reports regarding backported
> packages but nothing about the regular dist-upgrade Lenny->Squeeze.
>
> Regards,
>
> Henry

Henry,

I did almost the same as you a couple of months ago except that I only have
one Bacula director, running sqlite3. All servers & clients were running
Lenny. The new director has no difficulty connecting/communicating with the
older FD's -- about half my clients still are running Lenny. I accomplished
the entire upgrade during a Saturday afternoon.

I don't remember the specifics but I do seem to remember having a problem with
rebuilding the catalog. As I remember, I had to rebuild it manually -- it
didn't get upgraded correctly during the dist-upgrade -- so be sure to have
good backups in case of any problems. I also seem to remember that I had to
rebuild the catalog in two steps -- first from 2.4.4 to 3.x and then to 5.0.2.

You will also have to edit your conf files to allow for some changes in the
way things work after the upgrade. The only real problem here, that I can
remember, had to do with support for IPv6. Even though I use entirely IPv4
addresses the director kept complaining about the format I was using. I
finally got around it some way, but will have to look at the conf files again
to refresh my memory.

The only other problem that I've had I discussed in a post just a day or two
ago: "Debian Packaging Questions -- SQL Queries". So far, I haven't had any