Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Restore error with 10 GbE server and 1 GbE client

2011-08-02 15:58:37
Subject: [Bacula-users] Restore error with 10 GbE server and 1 GbE client
From: Cejka Rudolf <cejkar AT fit.vutbr DOT cz>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2011 21:56:05 +0200
Hello,
  is there anybody else, who has experienced similar restore problem as me?
If I use bacula server --(10 GbE)--> switch --(1 GbE)--> bacula client,
big restores with many small files (for example, 10 million files in
500 GB) end after a while with the following error (small restores under
10 thousand files are always good):

02-Aug 13:12 backup-sd JobId 62258: Error: bsock.c:393 Write error sending
130568 bytes to client:IP:36643: ERR=Invalid argument
02-Aug 13:12 backup-sd JobId 62258: Fatal error: read.c:137 Error sending to
File daemon. ERR=Invalid argument
02-Aug 13:12 backup-sd JobId 62258: Error: bsock.c:339 Socket has errors=1 on
call to client:IP:36643

If I change bacula server connection from 10 GbE to just 1 GbE, all restores
go well. I think that it is related to data bursting, 10 GbE -> 1 GbE overload
and network buffers in operating system and in switch, TCP error reporting and
supposed bigger sensitivity of bacula to network errors.

Bacula server is FreeBSD 8.2-STABLE (Jul 30), network interfaces ix0 or em0.

--
Rudolf Cejka <cejkar at fit.vutbr.cz> http://www.fit.vutbr.cz/~cejkar
Brno University of Technology, Faculty of Information Technology