Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Connection reset by peer

2011-07-26 23:11:36
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Connection reset by peer
From: Mike Ruskai <thannyd AT earthlink DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 23:09:10 -0400
On 7/26/2011 9:44 PM, scar wrote:
> i am getting this error on one of my remote clients, work1-fd.  what is
> confusing to me is that i have another system, work2-fd, on the same
> network, behind the same router, running the same OS and bacula version
> (ubuntu 10.04, 5.0.1) which doesn't have any problem backing up.
>
> i read that it could be timing out due to an accurate query on the
> catalog taking too long, but what is the cause of this?  work1-fd
> actually has less files to backup than work2-fd so shouldn't that query
> take even less?

I recently had that problem with backups on this machine, after quite
some time with no problems.  I was able to reproduce slow, packet-lossy
network transfers, so I power cycled my switch, but that didn't help.
Then I moved my network cable to another port on the switch, and it was
fine.  I made a new cable, from stranded CAT6 this time (stranded is
better for crimp connectors than solid), put it in the original port,
and everything's still fine, after a couple terabytes worth of backup.

So, in short, if you have network problems, suspect network problems.