Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Database performance issue

2011-07-22 11:34:19
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Database performance issue
From: Bruno Friedmann <bruno AT ioda-net DOT ch>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2011 17:31:27 +0200
On 07/21/2011 04:40 AM, Dan Langille wrote:
> On Jul 19, 2011, at 5:45 PM, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:
>
>>> Starting a file-based restore job, this led to postgresql spending a
>>> full 15 minutes in a query. Any idea what can be done to fix this?
>>>
>>> http://paste.ubuntu.com/647576/ has a full explain/analyze of the
>>> query, but so far, I haven't figured out where the problem is. Anyone
>>> with an idea of how to tune this?
>>
>> create index file_filenameid on file(filenameid);
>>
>> I guess that should be part of the FAQ...
>
> FYI, it's on my file:
>
> $ psql bacula
> psql (8.4.7)
> Type "help" for help.
>
> bacula=# \d file
>                              Table "public.file"
>    Column   |  Type   |                       Modifiers
> ------------+---------+-------------------------------------------------------
>  fileid     | bigint  | not null default nextval('file_fileid_seq'::regclass)
>  fileindex  | integer | not null default 0
>  jobid      | integer | not null
>  pathid     | integer | not null
>  markid     | integer | not null default 0
>  lstat      | text    | not null
>  md5        | text    | not null
>  filenameid | integer | not null
>     "file_pkey" PRIMARY KEY, btree (fileid)
>     "file_filenameid_idx" btree (filenameid)
>     "file_jobid_idx" btree (jobid)
>     "file_jpfid_idx" btree (jobid, pathid, filenameid)
>     "file_pathid" btree (pathid)
>     "file_pathid_idx" btree (pathid)
>     "testing" btree (fileid)
>
> bacula=#
>
> bacula=# select * from version ;
>  versionid
> -----------
>         12
> (1 row)
>

> $ bconsole
> Connecting to Director bacula.example.org:9101
> 1000 OK: bacula-dir Version: 5.0.3 (04 August 2010)
> Enter a period to cancel a command.
>

> For what it's worth, I found this in make_postgresql_tables
>
> --
> -- Possibly add one or more of the following indexes
> --  if your Verifies are too slow.
> --
> -- CREATE INDEX file_pathid_idx on file(pathid);
> -- CREATE INDEX file_filenameid_idx on file(filenameid);
>
> Moving this over to dev on my next reply.

which is strange I've only that

psql -d bacula
psql (8.4.7)
Type "help" for help.

bacula=# \d file
                             Table "public.file"
   Column   |  Type   |                       Modifiers
------------+---------+-------------------------------------------------------
 fileid     | bigint  | not null default nextval('file_fileid_seq'::regclass)
 fileindex  | integer | not null default 0
 jobid      | integer | not null
 pathid     | integer | not null
 filenameid | integer | not null
 markid     | integer | not null default 0
 lstat      | text    | not null
 md5        | text    | not null
    "file_pkey" PRIMARY KEY, btree (fileid)
    "file_jobid_idx" btree (jobid)
    "file_jpfid_idx" btree (jobid, pathid, filenameid)

and having the tree fully restored is question of secondes ...
Are you sure your postgresql setup is correct to handle what you ask it ?

--

Bruno Friedmann
Ioda-Net Sàrl www.ioda-net.ch

openSUSE Member & Ambassador