Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Verify Jobs

2011-07-15 12:38:24
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Verify Jobs
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: Martin Simmons <martin AT lispworks DOT com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2011 12:36:35 -0400
>> I was using /dev/nst0 but I'm trying the /dev/st0 just for testing, because
>> I've notice that even with any of them, Bacula controls if it will rewind or
>> not. At least, this was I could to notice.
>
> OK, but why risk it?  What is the advantage of /dev/st0, other than extra
> danger? :-)

The reason why I caution about this is there have been several reports
(over the years) of corrupt tapes that bacula for some reason rewinded
the tape and started writing at the begining trashing the label and
basically making the data on the tape useless. In all of the cases I
remember /dev/st0 was used.

John