Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] bacula bandwith usage

2011-03-30 09:44:02
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] bacula bandwith usage
From: Alan Brown <ajb2 AT mssl.ucl.ac DOT uk>
To: Laurent HENRY <Laurent.Henry AT ehess DOT fr>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 14:41:29 +0100
Laurent HENRY wrote:

> I let bacula a few days with attribute spooling.
> Things are not really different but it is a nice feature anyway.
>
> I am still not beyond 100Mb/s on my 1Gb/s network.

You should be able to hit 300-400Mb/s assuming you are spooling to a
mechanical hard drive or cheap SSD. Faster than that requires an array
of disks setup for striping.

> Did someone tried to tweak some network parameters (On linux Debian) ?
> I think about Jumbo frames, but because it is a vlan-wide parameter and
> bacula
> is not the same on this network, it is a little complicated to deploy.

I have some settings but they won't gain much until other areas are
addressed.

Before you attempt to do anything, you will need to benchmarking network
speeds and speeds of simple file transfers, etc. You need to get a
handle on how fast your network and disk susbsystems are before you can
see how fast Bacula can run.

In my experience throughputs are far more limited by client disk
speed/loading (busy clients can be very slow to provide data), server
disk speeds/loading and finally by network limitations - in that order.
Tuning networking when the bottlenecks are elsewhere will give few
noticeable improvements until those other areas are quantified and
addressed if needed.

I can easily sustain 1Gb/s on terabyte-scale backups without jumbo
packets, but it took a bit of tuning of the client's disk handling to
achieve it and I have hardware arrays with 96 drives onboard apiece. The
tuning was mainly intended to improve its performance as a fileserver
and came at the expense of its usefulness as an interactive machine
(it's a dedicated fileserver) - there's no such thing as a free lunch.