Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] bacula bandwith usage

2011-03-02 13:10:26
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] bacula bandwith usage
From: Rory Campbell-Lange <rory AT campbell-lange DOT net>
To: Laurent HENRY <Laurent.Henry AT ehess DOT fr>
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2011 10:21:03 +0000
On 01/03/11, Laurent HENRY (Laurent.Henry AT ehess DOT fr) wrote:
> Hi all,
>  Maybe not a direct question about bacula but i am looking for some feedback
> of bacula users.
> Looking a bandwith usage, i barely use 100Mb. i see bursts at 110 or 130 Mb/s
> and nothing more.

I find using iperf is very useful as a first "port of call" in this sort
of situation. It is a client/server network tool. One can (for instance)
run the server on the destination and then run a network test --
optionally bidirectionally -- from the client. This will give you an
excellent idea of what your maximum network bandwidth might be.

Taking off tcp/ip overhead a 100Mb/s network is unlikely to see more
than about 95Mb/s (bits/sec) or just under 8MB/s (bytes/sec). I guess a
gigabit network might do 10 times that.

If iperf doesn't provide the answers (or clear area of problem-finding)
for you, you should move down to the disk level. Watching iostat or
iotop might be a good place to start.

--
Rory Campbell-Lange
rory AT campbell-lange DOT net