Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] About retention, and pruning.

2011-03-24 09:00:42
Subject: [Bacula-users] About retention, and pruning.
From: Hugo Letemplier <hugo.let.35 AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 13:57:04 +0100
Hi,

I work for an enterprise that need a good backup software and I chosen Bacula;
I am now trying to configure it but I have a doubt.
I am setting up a disk based backup server with manual LTO tapes archiving.
I have 4 "Class" of data to backup :
-My mail server
-My infrastructure (DNS, Directory…)
-My file server
-My information services

I created 3 pools per class (Full - Diff - Inc ) plus one more for
Archive with an infinite retention.

My question, for the moment is about my file server that represent the
biggest amount of data to backup and the higher backup frequency w/
the datas of the intra/extranet software

My difficulties are in setting retention periods for my pools. I read
a bacula-dir.conf example and I saw that it keeps the full for one 1
year.
I am about to keep my full for 28 weeks my diff for 4 weeks my inc for 10 days
I will do 1 inc per day 2 diff per months and 3 full per year
How can I be sure that it will work ? If I do my last inc does it will
update retention time on the previous incs so the restore would be
possible 1 week after the last inc.
as an example:
- 1st inc (1 week retention)
- 2nd inc (1 w)
- 3rd inc (1 w)
- 8th inc (1 w)

I have the same kind of question with many jobs of different level.
Does a higher level job inherits the lower job retention ? Indeed, an
inc need the full and eventually a diff to be fully restored.
Does bacula come with a mechanism
that avoid an inc or a diff to be there without the full (or the diff,
and previous incs) that it used as a base ?

My second question is more bound to my file server. How can I
"estimate" and configure safely job retention because I have no idea
on how my datas will grow job after job ? Is there a good method ?

I am using bacula 5.0.3 on CentOS 5.5

I hope you understood my English and you will have a time to answer my
questions.

Thank you very much in advance.

Hugo