Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Why does Bacula run Disk jobs before previously queued Tape Jobs?

2011-03-15 11:13:51
Subject: [Bacula-users] Why does Bacula run Disk jobs before previously queued Tape Jobs?
From: Mingus Dew <shon.stephens AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 11:10:34 -0400
Dear All,
     I am using Bacula 5.0.3 on Solaris 10_x86. I am currently having an issue where sometimes Tape jobs are hung in queue waiting for Disk jobs to complete. I realize this is a factor of the Concurrent Jobs setting. However, Bacula seems to continue processing Disk jobs that were scheduled AFTER some Tape jobs, causing even further delays in completing tape jobs. During this time, the drive is not in use. Also, I have not modified Job Priorities in any way from defaults.
     Does Bacula assign a higher priority to Disk jobs? The fact that Bacula runs Disk jobs, queued after Tape jobs, before those jobs is troubling to me. Also, the tape drive sitting for hours unused while Disk jobs is causing major delays in my backup scheduling. Any ideas on why this is happening would be very helpful.
     I've considered running a second SD on the host, just to control and queue jobs for the Tape drive. Is this a valid or recommended option?

Sincerely,
Shon