Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] bacula-fd on windows 7 not listening on IPv6 address??

2011-03-15 04:46:25
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] bacula-fd on windows 7 not listening on IPv6 address??
From: Gavin McCullagh <gavin.mccullagh AT gcd DOT ie>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 08:42:46 +0000
Hi,

On Mon, 14 Mar 2011, Josh Fisher wrote:

> >> Force it to listen on whatever address/port you desire w/ "FDAddresses = "
> >>
> >> http://www.bacula.org/5.0.x-manuals/en/main/main/Client_File_daemon_Configur.html
> > Thanks for the reply.  Is this considered a bug?  Admittedly not so many
> > networks use IPv6 yet so I can imagine it might not be very high priority.
>
> It seems you have a host name that resolves to both an IPv4 address and
> an IPv6 address, no? So when DNS returns two addresses for that host
> name, which one should be used? Should bacula-fd listen on the first
> address returned, the second address returned, or both?

I would guess both?  That's how dual-stacking is generally done so that
IPv6 capable hosts can use the AAAA record but hosts which don't support
IPv6 yet can still connect using the A record.

In the normal way, I haven't tended to specify the name or address for the
FD to listen on.  bacula-fd just binds to the available configured
addresses (the v4 ones at any rate).  Is that not what people expect?

> FDAddress is retained for backward compatibility. I believe you should
> use FDAddresses for IPv6 and/or multi-homed machines.

Surely defining the address at all is optional, no?

> Try using something like:
>      FDAddresses {
>         ip = {
>            addr = hostname
>         }
>      }
>
> The ip keyword of FDAddresses allows selection of IPv4 and IPv6 addresses.
>
> An alternative solution that will work with both Bacula, and any other
> software that may not be as configurable as Bacula, is to assign
> different host names for the IPv6 network than are assigned for the IPv4
> network. That removes the ambiguity, although I still think you will
> have to use the FDAddresses directive as opposed to the FDAddress
> directive. The older FDAddress directive may not support IPv6.

I'd been using FDAddresses alright, but would prefer to just have bacula-fd
bind to the available addresses.  Is that not a good idea?  I guess the
above hostname-based directive isn't too bad.

There is a potential race condition of sorts in that where you use router
advertisements, a host may not immediately pick up its IPv6 address at boot
time so when the bacula-fd service is started, the IPv6 address might not
yet be configured.  That said, I restarted bacula-fd with the IPv6 address
configured and bacula-fd still didn't bind to it.

Gavin

--
Gavin McCullagh
Senior System Administrator

This E-mail is from Griffith College.
The E-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and may be
privileged and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity
to whom they are addressed. If you are not the addressee you are prohibited
from disclosing its content, copying it or distributing it otherwise than to
the addressee. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately
notify the sender by replying to this e-mail and delete the e-mail from your
computer.

Bellerophon Ltd, trades as Griffith College (registered in Ireland No.
60469) with its registered address as Griffith College Campus, South
Circular Road, Dublin 8, Ireland.