Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] bacula-fd on windows 7 not listening on IPv6 address??

2011-03-14 08:42:37
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] bacula-fd on windows 7 not listening on IPv6 address??
From: Josh Fisher <jfisher AT pvct DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 08:40:07 -0400
On 3/12/2011 5:15 AM, Gavin McCullagh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 11 Mar 2011, Joseph L. Casale wrote:
>
>>> The bacula-fd daemon (according to netstat -na) doesn't appear to be
>>> listening on the IPv6 address.
>> Force it to listen on whatever address/port you desire w/ "FDAddresses = "
>>
>> http://www.bacula.org/5.0.x-manuals/en/main/main/Client_File_daemon_Configur.html
> Thanks for the reply.  Is this considered a bug?  Admittedly not so many
> networks use IPv6 yet so I can imagine it might not be very high priority.

It seems you have a host name that resolves to both an IPv4 address and
an IPv6 address, no? So when DNS returns two addresses for that host
name, which one should be used? Should bacula-fd listen on the first
address returned, the second address returned, or both?

FDAddress is retained for backward compatibility. I believe you should
use FDAddresses for IPv6 and/or multi-homed machines.

> Hard coding the IP is not an ideal solution.  This is a laptop running DHCP
> without a reservation so while the IPv6 address probably won't change, the
> v4 address will.  I can give this laptop a reservation, but we're heading
> in the direction of setting up bacula backups for 20-30 laptops, so I'd
> prefer not to give them all reservations.

Try using something like:
     FDAddresses {
        ip = {
           addr = hostname
        }
     }

The ip keyword of FDAddresses allows selection of IPv4 and IPv6 addresses.

An alternative solution that will work with both Bacula, and any other
software that may not be as configurable as Bacula, is to assign
different host names for the IPv6 network than are assigned for the IPv4
network. That removes the ambiguity, although I still think you will
have to use the FDAddresses directive as opposed to the FDAddress
directive. The older FDAddress directive may not support IPv6.