Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] upgrading bacula problem with mysql - Solved

2011-03-02 17:56:06
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] upgrading bacula problem with mysql - Solved
From: Maria Mckinley <maria AT shadlen DOT org>
To: Bacula Users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2011 14:52:57 -0800
On 3/2/11 2:06 PM, Maria Mckinley wrote:
> Message: 20
> Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2011 10:23:14 -0500
> From: Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
> Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] upgrading bacula problem with mysql
> To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
>
> Phil wrote:
>
>  > There is not, and never was, any 'bacula.MyCatalog' table. That is a
>  > mistaken idea; stop letting it distract you. You do not have a
>  > missing table. You have a connection/authentication problem.
>
> Yes, sorry, complete brain fart there.
>
>  > Try this:
>
>  > Connect to your Bacula DB as your administrative user (probably root)
>  > and change the password for Bacula, as follows:
>
>  > UPDATE mysql.user SET password=PASSWORD('your new password here')
>  > WHERE user='bacula';
>  > FLUSH PRIVILEGES;
>
>  > Then update your Bacula director config file and put the exact same
>  > new catalog password in there, then restart Bacula and see if that
>  > solves the problem. It should.
>
> Now I am very confused. Once I changed the password for user bacula, I
> can no longer log in at the command line as bacula, and of course,
> bacula cannot log in.
>
> billie:~# mysql -u root -p
> Enter password:
> Welcome to the MySQL monitor. Commands end with ; or \g.
> Your MySQL connection id is 3003
> Server version: 5.1.49-3 (Debian)
>
> Copyright (c) 2000, 2010, Oracle and/or its affiliates. All rights
> reserved.
> This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. This is free software,
> and you are welcome to modify and redistribute it under the GPL v2 license
>
> Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the current input
> statement.
> mysql> UPDATE mysql.user SET password='xxx' WHERE user='bacula';
> Query OK, 2 rows affected (0.00 sec)
> Rows matched: 2 Changed: 2 Warnings: 0
>
> mysql> FLUSH PRIVILEGES;
> Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)
>
> mysql> exit
> Bye
> billie:~# mysql -u bacula -p
> Enter password:
> ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'bacula'@'localhost' (using
> password: YES)
>
> No idea what is going on...
>
> thanks,
> maria

Not sure exactly what happened, but the password in MySQL was definitely
the problem. I logged into MySQL as root, and looked at the password
table, and noticed that the password for the user bacula was not
encrypted, but all of the other user passwords were. I looked up the
command in the MySQL manual, and it appears you need parentheses around
the password:

mysql> UPDATE mysql.user SET Password = PASSWORD('xxxx')
     -> WHERE User = 'bacula';
Query OK, 1 row affected (0.02 sec)
Rows matched: 1  Changed: 1  Warnings: 0

When I looked at the password table after flushing this, the password
for bacula was encrypted, and I was again able to login as bacula. And,
I was able to start bconsole and my backup seems to be back up and
running! Yay!

Thanks Phil, for pointing me in the right direction.

cheers,
maria