Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula Maximum Concurrent Jobs

2010-11-24 13:07:23
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula Maximum Concurrent Jobs
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 13:05:12 -0500
On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 12:59 PM, John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 11:47 AM, dietervh
> <bacula-forum AT backupcentral DOT com> wrote:
>> I am totally confused about the Maximum Concurrent Jobs directive in Bacula.
>> I'm full of hope that somebody here could be my light.
>>
>> Little image of my situation :
>>
>> I have some clients with the Bacula FD installed on 2 different locations.
>> I have 2 SD's, each one on a location.
>> I have a Catalog somewhere with mysql
>> And last but not least, I have a  Director running.
>>
>> Jobs are defined, and work.
>>
>> Now, I just want to have my director, to execute multiple jobs at a time.
>> At this moment, the director runs job by job. But that takes time, and has
>> the effect that the backups aren't finished until noon. (while they have
>> been started at midnight).
>>
>> One client / One job / One volume
>>
>> Lets state that the director handles 5 jobs at a time. Where do I have to
>> put the "Maximum Concurrent Jobs" directive. And at which value should I set
>> it?
>>

> There are 5 or more places to set it depending on the concurrency you
> want (client, storage ...) between bacula-dir.conf and bacula-sd.conf.
>
> Also you have to understand that only 1 pool can be loaded at a time
> for a storage device so if you want multiple jobs to run to multiple
> pools concurrently you need multiple storage devices.

On top of this there is priority. If you have set jobs to have
different priority they will not execute concurrently. Lower priority
jobs will have to wait till the highest priority job(s) is/are
finished before starting. If you did not mess with priority ignore
this comment as the default is all jobs (except catalog backup) have
the same priority.

John M. Drescher