Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] File mismatch by -1, after a computer crash

2010-11-18 22:55:59
Subject: [Bacula-users] File mismatch by -1, after a computer crash
From: Royce Brown <Royce.Brown AT ecs.vuw.ac DOT nz>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2010 16:52:25 +1300
Using bacula v 5.0.2 on A netbsd machine v 5.1 (64bit )

I have this strange problem when after a computer crash, the next time bacula tries to write to tape it gets the file count wrong by -1 file.
No backups are running when the computer crashes.

The error is:

Error: Bacula cannot write on tape Volume "57" because:
The number of files mismatch! Volume=70 Catalog=71

if I do a bscan of the tape. the end result looks like this, but the main point is it seems to agree with the catalog number

19-Nov 13:39 bscan JobId 0: End of Volume at file 71 on device "BACKUP-LTO-1" (/dev/nrst1), Volume "57"
bscan: bscan.c:337-5818 ========== JobId=0 ========
19-Nov 13:39 bscan JobId 0: End of all volumes.
bscan: bscan.c:424 Record: SessId=0 SessTim=0 FileIndex=-6 Stream=0 len=0
End of physical tape.
bscan: bscan.c:637 End of all Volumes. VolFiles=71 VolBlocks=0 VolBytes=59,378,195,110
Records would have been added or updated in the catalog:
      1 Media
      1 Pool
     95 Job
 579697 File

Going into bconsole and reducing the file count by 1 allows the tape to be written to, but I suspect the last backup to the tape has now just been corrupted.
There are three tape drives on the machine (2 LTO4 & 1 DLT drives) and this happens to every tape in all drives. You  are unable to use those tapes again unit you fix the file number up or purge the tape.

Bacula works correctly in every other way I have successfully done multiple backups and restores.

Has anyone seen this kind of behaviour before or have any suggestions, any help would be much appreciated.

Royce