Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Bacula remote site cache?

2010-10-26 22:13:39
Subject: [Bacula-users] Bacula remote site cache?
From: Jason Antman <jason AT jasonantman DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 21:50:43 -0400
Hi all,

I have the following scenario:
- Master site with all infrastructure, Bacula server running
- Remote site with 2 desktops and 1 server (with only ~3GB available,
running bacula-fd 2.4.2, soon to be upgraded to 3.0.1) that need to be
backed up, linked via VPN over residential-grade cable modem (latency
issues, intermittent connectivity drops)

My weekly full backups run ~3GB per host.

I've been running Bacula over the VPN (direct from remote FD to SD at
master site) for the past few months, but I often have to restart the
jobs, and it messes things up when the remote jobs hang indefinitely.

Ideally, I'd use some sort of caching system. Given that such a thing
(AFAIK) doesn't exist for Bacula, my current working theory is to run a
bacula-dir and -sd at the remote site just for that site's backups, and
then somehow push them to the main site. Any theories on how to do this?

Alternatively (and I guess this should be my first step), does anyone
have recommendations for configuration for running some jobs over a
(relatively) slow link to a remote site? My main issues seem to be jobs
ending in error state (as far as I can find in the docs, Bacula doesn't
have an option to keep rescheduling a job until it runs successfully)
and jobs hanging indefinitely, thereby blocking everything else.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jason Antman