Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula Media Rotation

2010-10-26 06:51:08
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula Media Rotation
From: Daniel Etter <daniel AT obastrlx DOT ch>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 12:49:08 +0200
2010/10/26 Telemat <bacula-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>:
> We have 10 volumes, 5 for the weekdays in week one and 5 for the weekdays in
> week 2. We have 5 pools, but from what you are saying is that each day should
> have its own unique pool?
>
> I have modeled our backup job on this : -
>
> http://www.bacula.org/fr/dev-manual/Backup_Strategies.html, the daily tape
> rotation. If I add the Volume Use Retention to 23h in this model, will it
> keep using the same tape or will it actually rotate between the two tapes?

This is my pool-configuration:

# Default pool definition
Pool {
  Name = Default
  Pool Type = Backup
  Recycle = yes                       # Bacula can automatically recycle Volumes
  AutoPrune = yes                     # Prune expired volumes
  Action on purge = truncate
  Volume Retention = 182 days         # 1/2 year
  Maximum Volume Bytes = 53687091200
  Maximum Volumes = 14
  LabelFormat = "BAND"
}

Pool {
  Name = Montag
  Pool Type = Backup
  Recycle = yes
  AutoPrune = yes
  Action on purge = truncate
  Volume Retention = 2 months
  Volume Use Duration = 23 hours
  Maximum Volume Bytes = 53687091200
  LabelFormat = "MON"
}

Pool {
  Name = Dienstag
  Pool Type = Backup
  Recycle = yes
  AutoPrune = yes
  Action on purge = truncate
  Volume Retention = 8 days
  Volume Use Duration = 23 hours
  Maximum Volume Bytes = 53687091200
  LabelFormat = "DIE"
}
Pool {
  Name = Mittwoch
  Pool Type = Backup
  Recycle = yes
  AutoPrune = yes
  Action on purge = truncate
  Volume Retention = 8 days
  Volume Use Duration = 23 hours
  Maximum Volume Bytes = 53687091200
  LabelFormat = "MIT"
}

Pool {
  Name = Donnerstag
  Pool Type = Backup
  Recycle = yes
  AutoPrune = yes
  Action on purge = truncate
  Volume Retention = 8 days
  Volume Use Duration = 23 hours
  Maximum Volume Bytes = 53687091200
  LabelFormat = "DON"
}

Pool {
  Name = Freitag
  Pool Type = Backup
  Recycle = yes
  AutoPrune = yes
  Action on purge = truncate
  Volume Retention = 8 days
  Volume Use Duration = 23 hours
  Maximum Volume Bytes = 53687091200
  LabelFormat = "FRE"
}
# Scratch pool definition
Pool {
  Name = Scratch
  Pool Type = Backup
}

pool default is for full backup (first monday of the month) and catalog backup.
pool montag (monday) is for differential backup. Each monday a volume
until two full backups
pool dienstag-freitag (tuesday-friday) are for daily incrementals. For
each pool here, there are two volumes which will be use every second
week.

This are my schedules:

Schedule {
  Name = "WeeklyCycle"
  Run = Full 1st mon at 11:05
  Run = Differential Pool = Montag 2nd-5th mon at 11:05
  Run = Incremental Pool=Dienstag tue at 11:05
  Run = Incremental Pool=Mittwoch wed at 11:05
  Run = Incremental Pool=Donnerstag thu at 11:05
  Run = Incremental Pool=Freitag fri at 11:05
}

# This schedule does the catalog. It starts after the WeeklyCycle
Schedule {
  Name = "WeeklyCycleAfterBackup"
  Run = Full mon-fri at 11:10
}