Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Job, File, Volume Retention?

2010-10-25 13:51:09
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Job, File, Volume Retention?
From: Martin Simmons <martin AT lispworks DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 18:48:10 +0100

> 2010/10/25 Mingus Dew <shon.stephens AT gmail DOT com>:
> > All,
> >      I recall reading about this long ago, when I read the manual like a
> > book. I'm having a hard time finding the information now,
> >
> > I have configured Job and File Retention periods in the Job Definitions and
> > then Volume Retention periods in the Pool Definitions
> >
> > Job Retention = 30d
> > File Retention = 30d
> >
> > Volume Retention = 14d
> >
> > Which retention period will be the one implemented, or will this produce
> > some resultant Retention that I'm not aware of?
> >

> Volume retention has the highest priority.

That isn't true, despite what the doc says in some places.

The actual retention period for jobs is in the minimum of Job Retention and
Volume Retention.  The only difference between them is that Job Retention is
applied by the automatic pruning after each job, whereas Volume Retention is
applied when Bacula is searching for a new volume.

__Martin