Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Introduction and Help Needed

2010-10-25 13:04:09
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Introduction and Help Needed
From: Bob Hetzel <beh AT case DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 13:01:08 -0400

> From: Brian Blater <brb.lists AT gmail DOT com>
> Subject: [Bacula-users] Introduction and Help Needed
> To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
>
> Ok, I'm new to Bacula but I'm in no way new to IT or backups. I've
> been around the "IT block" many times in the 20+ years I've been doing
> this.
>
> Anyways, here is a little back ground. The company I work for sets up
> many international project offices with from 5 to 100+ users. I've
> been asked to come up with a solution that will work in our smaller
> project offices of 5 to 10 people, but provide basically the same
> features of our larger offices, just with a reduced cost. Currently
> the company has always used some sort of Windows offering, but when
> 80% of the cost of a server is just Windows and it's licenses, that
> just isn't going to work any more.
>
> So, I'm working on a Linux server that will basically do all the core
> functions of our Windows offering but for quite a bit less $$$. At
> this point I've got most everything working, but need to come up with
> a backup strategy. Now, I've used Symantec's offerings for many years,
> so that is where my knowledge is. With this being Linux I didn't feel
> tar and/or rsync would work to the same level as Backup Exec etc
> would, so in my investigating I turned to Bacula.
>
> After a very steep learning curve (Google and I have become very close
> friends during this week), I've got my Linux server backing up with
> Bacula to an external USB drive. That seems to be working fine in it's
> basic setup (although there are seveal more "tweaks" I would like to
> do, but that will come later.) So, now I turn to backing up a Windows
> client. I've got the client/fd defined, have my schedule setup, my
> volume/sd is setup. Now, I go about configuring the file set. I'm
> trying to use wilddir and wildfile definitions to not backup alot of
> the "extra" windows crap. However, I keep getting the error - No drive
> letters found for generating VSS snapshots and Could not stat
> "'"C:/Documents": ERR=The system cannot find the path specified. I've
> scoured Google and it has helped me get this far, but I just don't see
> what I'm doing wrong here (been a long week, so I must be tired and
> just not seeing it.)
>
> Here is the file set for this backup:
>
> FileSet {
>   Name = "Default WinXP File Set"
>   Enable VSS = yes
>   Include {
>     Options {
>       wilddir = "C:/Documents and Settings/*/Cookies"
>       wilddir = "C:/Documents and Settings/*/Recent"
>       wilddir = "C:/Documents and Settings/*/Local Settings/Temp"
>       wilddir = "C:/Documents and Settings/*/Local Settings/History"
>       wilddir = "C:/Documents and Settings/*/My Documents/My Music"
>       wilddir = "C:/Documents and Settings/*/My Documents/My Videos"
>       wilddir = "*temporary internet files*"
>       wildfile = "*pagefile.sys"
>       wildfile = "*.log"
> [...]

Two things that are odd... you're including "c:/documents and settings" but
then excluding c:/temp, that's just unhelpful.  My approach is a little
different--tell it to back up c:/ and then exclude the dirs and files I
don't want.

So here's what I have...  works for XP, Vista, Win7:

FileSet {
   Name = "c-drive-dirs"
   EnableVSS=yes
   Ignore FileSet Changes = yes
   Include {
     Options {
      @/opt/bacula/etc/bacula-filesets.inc
     }
     File = "C:/"
     Exclude Dir Containing = "excludemefrombackup"
   }
}
The reason to include bacula-filesets.inc is so we can do C: on some
computers, C: and D:, C: and F: on other computers, etc similarly.

Anyway, bacula-filesets.inc contains the following (please excuse the
word/line wrapping that e-mail puts in):

       signature = MD5
       noatime = yes
       ignore case = yes
       Exclude = yes
       WildDir = "*/DO_NOT_BACKUP"
       #self explanatory, added 1/8/2009 beh

       # exclude any directory with cache in the name
       WildDir = "*/Cache"
       WildDir = "*/MSOCache"

       WildDir = "*/Windows Defender"
       WildDir = "*/Temporary Internet Files"
       WildDir = "*/Temp"
       WildDir = "*/tmp"

       WildDir = "*/restored/d"
       WildDir = "*/restored/c"

       WildDir = "*/ATI Technologies"

       WildDir = "*/wmdownloads"
       WildDir = "*/My Music"
       WildDir = "*/iTunes"
       WildDir = "*/Cookies"
       WildDir = "*/Program Fi*/Microsoft Games"

       WildFile = "*/desktop.ini"

       # windows XP thumbnail views of files
       WildFile = "*/thumbs.db"
       # windows Vista thumbnail views of files
       WildFile = "*/thumbcache_*.db"

       #Vista special directories that are just mount points
       #/Users/All Users actually refers to /ProgamData

       WildDir = "*/Users/*/Local Settings"
       WildDir = "*/Users/*/My Videos"
       WildDir = "*/Users/*/My Documents"
       WildDir = "*/Users/*/NetHood"
       WildDir = "*/Users/*/PrintHood"
       WildDir = "*/Users/*/SendTo"
       WildDir = "*/Users/*/Start Menu"
       WildDir = "*/Users/*/Templates"
       WildDir = "*/Users/*/Documents/My Pictures"
       WildDir = "*/Users/*/Documents/My Videos"
       WildDir = "*/Users/*/AppData/Local/Application Data"
       WildDir = "*/Users/*/AppData/Local/History"
       WildDir = "*/Users/*/Application Data"
       WildDir = "*/Users/Default User"

       WildDir = "C:/ProgramData/Application Data"
       WildDir = "C:/ProgramData/Desktop"
       WildDir = "C:/ProgramData/Documents"
       WildDir = "C:/ProgramData/Favorites"
       WildDir = "C:/ProgramData/Start Menu"
       WildDir = "C:/ProgramData/Templates"

       WildFile = "*/acrobat?.exe"
       WildFile = "*/spark_2_5_5.exe"
       WildFile = "*/studio8.exe"
       WildFile = "*/indesignCS3.exe"
       WildFile = "*/illustratorCS3.exe"
       WildFile = "*/RealPlayer10-5GOLD.exe"

       WildFile = "*/acr6win.exe"
       WildDir = "*/Acro6Temp"
       WildFile = "*/AdbeRdr70_enu_full.exe"
       WildFile = "*/antivirus10_1_5.exe"
       WildFile = "*/antivirus.exe"
       WildFile = "*/office2003.exe"
       WildFile = "*/QuickTime.msi"
       WildFile = "*/iTunes.msi"
       WildFile = "*/Safari.msi"
       WildFile = "*/Office 2007.exe"
       WildFile = "*/RealPlayer10-5GOLD_bb.exe"

       #thunderbird lock file
       WildFile = "*/parent.lock"

       #windows indexing files
       WildFile = "*/windows.edb"
       WildDir = "*/Microsoft/Search/Data"

       WildDir = "*/RealPlayer/Setup"
       WildDir = "*/Spybot - Search & Destroy"
       WildDir = "*/Windows NT/Pinball"

       #microsoft text to speech
       WildFile = "*SpeechEngines/Microsoft/TTS20/enu-dsk"

       WildDir = "*Retrospect Restore Points"

       #windows user pic folder
       WildDir = "[A-Z]:/ProgramData/Microsoft/User Account Pictures"

       #windows sample music folder
       WildDir = "*/Public/Music/Sample Music"

       #exclude bacula program and settings dirs
       WildDir = "*/Program Files/Bacula"
       WildDir = "*/All Users/Application Data/Bacula"
       WildDir = "*/ProgramData/Bacula"

       #exclude i386 director of windows installer files
       WildDir = "[A-Z]:/i386"

       # Exclude Mozilla-based programs' file caches
       WildDir = "*/Application Data/*/Profiles/*/*/ImapMail"
       #WildDir = "[A-Z]:/Users/*/Application Data/*/Profiles/*/*/ImapMail"

       # Exclude user's registry files - they're always in use anyway.
       WildFile = "*/Local Settings/Application
Data/Microsoft/Windows/usrclass.*"
       #WildFile = "[A-Z]:/Users/*/Local Settings/Application
Data/Microsoft/Windows/usrclass.*"
       WildFile = "[A-Z]:/Documents and Settings/*/ntuser.*"
       WildFile = "[A-Z]:/Users/*/ntuser.*"

       WildDir = "[A-Z]:/Documents and Settings/*/Recent"
       WildDir = "[A-Z]:/Users/*/Recent"

       WildDir = "*/Local Settings/History"
       #WildDir = "[A-Z]:/Users/*/Local Settings/History"
       WildDir = "*/microsoft/Windows/History"

       # These are always open and unable to be backed up
       WildFile = "*/Microsoft/Network/Downloader/qmgr[01].dat"
       #WildFile = "[A-Z]:/Users/All Users/Application
Data/Microsoft/Network/Downloader/qmgr[01].dat"

       #Exclude all of Windows...
       WildDir = "[A-Z]:/windows"
       WildDir = "[A-Z]:/winnt"
       WildDir = "[A-Z]:/winxp"
       WildDir = "[A-Z]:/win"
       #symantec antivirus app stuff
       WildDir = "*/Symantec*"

       #system volume information
       WildDir = "[A-Z]:/System Volume Information"

       WildFile = "*.tmp"
       # ghost image and spanning files
       WildFile = "*.gho"
       WildFile = "*.ghs"

       # Recycle bins
       WildDir = "[A-Z]:/RECYCLER"
       WildDir = "[A-Z]:/RECYCLED"
       WildDir = "[A-Z]:/$RECYCLE.BIN"

       # Swap files
       WildFile = "*/pagefile.sys"

       # Windows hibernate state file
       WildFile = "*/hiberfil.sys"

       # These are programs and are easier to reinstall than restore from
       # backup
       WildDir = "[A-Z]:/cygwin"
       WildDir = "*/Adobe/Acrobat 7.0"
       WildDir = "*/Adobe/Acrobat 8.0"
       WildDir = "*/Adobe/Acrobat 9.0"
       WildDir = "*/Common Files/Adobe/Help"

       WildDir = "*/Common Files/Software Center"
       WildDir = "[A-Z]:/Software Center"

       WildDir = "[A-Z]:/Program File*/Grisoft"
       WildDir = "[A-Z]:/Program File*/Java"
       WildDir = "[A-Z]:/Program File*/Java Web Start"
       WildDir = "[A-Z]:/Program File*/JavaSoft"
       WildDir = "[A-Z]:/Program File*/Microsoft Office"
       WildDir = "[A-Z]:/Program File*/Mozilla Firefox"
       WildDir = "[A-Z]:/Program File*/Mozilla Thunderbird"
       WildDir = "[A-Z]:/Program File*/mozilla.org"
       WildDir = "[A-Z]:/Program File*/OpenOffice*"