Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] How to recover wrong overwritten tape?

2010-10-13 08:00:57
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] How to recover wrong overwritten tape?
From: terryc <terryc AT woa.com DOT au>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 22:43:25 +1100
>> How can I scan the whole tape and recover old, non overwritten, jobs?
>>
>> Thanks for any suggestions,
>
> Sorry Simone, but once you've partially overwritten the tape, you're
> pretty much out of luck with any out-of-the-box tools.  You'd have to
> write a specific program to scan the entire tape beyond the EOT mark to
> try to recover any data from it.

If bacula works the same as other back up programs I've dealt with in
the past, they write a jb to tape, put EOT or ?, the write the next job
and repeat.

So mount your tape no rewind, extract the first job,  step past the EOT,
extract next job and repeat until physical EOT.

It has been a while since I've performed this, so I don't remember the
exact *nix commands I used.

You will not recover the overwritten job.

--
Terry Collins {:-)}}}}}
Bicycles, Appropriate Technology, Natural Environment, Welding