Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] How to recover wrong overwritten tape?

2010-10-13 06:57:12
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] How to recover wrong overwritten tape?
From: Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 06:54:24 -0400
On 10/13/10 06:15, Simone Martina wrote:
> Hi at all,
> this (sad) morning I've tried to append a job to a used volume (a tape):
> despite I've tried to update status, job retention and so on, Bacula
> marks that tape like purgeable and begin to write the new data on the
> beginning of the tape.
> When I see that situation, I've cancelled the jobs, but the damage was
> just done. Anyway, I've written only 45MB over 170GB of data.
> I've tried to use bscan and bls to read the tape, but only the last
> overwriting job is listed.
>
> How can I scan the whole tape and recover old, non overwritten, jobs?
>
> Thanks for any suggestions,

Sorry Simone, but once you've partially overwritten the tape, you're
pretty much out of luck with any out-of-the-box tools.  You'd have to
write a specific program to scan the entire tape beyond the EOT mark to
try to recover any data from it.

co.ordinate DOT org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.