Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] No medium found.. How to force it?

2010-10-06 17:03:46
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] No medium found.. How to force it?
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: Bob Hetzel <beh AT case DOT edu>, bacula-users <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2010 17:00:53 -0400
On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 4:34 PM, Bob Hetzel <beh AT case DOT edu> wrote:

>>>  >

>>> In your Storage section of your bacula-dir.conf file, if you are using an
>>> autochanger you need to specify 'Autochanger = yes' so bacula will check
>>> the InChanger field when it works with media.
>>>

>> I have that but still get prompted (probably once every 3 months) for
>> media that is not in the changer when the only available volumes are
>> not in the changer.
>>
>> John
>
> Any chance the update slots command didn't get run or didn't inventory that
> slot?  If not then sounds like a bug.

Nope. I always do update slots.

What happens most is I have daily user backups that go to the
UserBackups-LTO2 pool that has a 9 month (to 1 year) retention period.
I pull out 3 to 5 Full volumes from this pool probably 1 to 3 from
some other pools (that never recycle) and replace them with new tapes.
These new volumes go to the Scratch Pool. After I insert the new
volumes I do update slots twice. The reason for the second update
slots is mtx returns 23 slots the first time after adding tapes with
my changer. After a second an subsequent times it returns 24 slots
again. Anyways after the update slots all of the tapes get 0 set to
their slot and the in-changer flag also goes to 0. However when there
are no available volumes in the UserBackups-LTO2 pool that are in the
changer bacula will favor recycling volumes that are not in the
changer versus volumes that are in the scratch pool. At least it has
done that at minimum a dozen or so times over the last 4 to 6 years I
have had the changer.

This could have been fixed however. I was running 2.4.X for nearly 2
years with this behavior. And many other versions before that.. I did
upgrade to 5.0.3 a few months ago but I can not remember if I have had
this issue yet with 5.0.3. Although this issue did happen 2 or 3 times
this year.

John