Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula config in LDAP

2010-10-03 19:21:26
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula config in LDAP
From: "James Harper" <james.harper AT bendigoit.com DOT au>
To: "Dirk Dokter" <dirk AT dirkdokter DOT nl>, <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2010 10:17:33 +1100

>   Would anyone be interested in a script to generate Bacula config
files
> from LDAP?

Director, Storage, and/or Client? Having the clients build their own
configs would be very nice and make mass-rollout a breeze.

Would it involve a change to the daemons to read LDAP directly, or just
be @|"/etc/bacula/ldap_config.sh" in the text config file to compose a
text config file from LDAP?

I'm using a bit of shell script to generate the director configs based
on a template which works well, but still manually generate the sd and
fd configs.

> I am about to implement this this month for the company i work for. If
> more than 10 users are interested in this, i will make the
script/daemon
> more universally usable and i'll make it available to the public.
>
> Please let me know.

If you are going to put in the effort and want to make it a community
project then I think it merits discussion on the list...

Also post on -devel in case someone else is working on the same thing.
Having configs in the database has been discussed from time to time...
I'm not sure if the objections were technical or if the parties asking
for the feature were not able to implement it themselves and that nobody
else was interested.

If you want the daemon to read LDAP directly then it may be best to make
it a plugin, although the framework for a config plugin doesn't exist at
this time AFAIK.

James