Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] VSS error event 12302

2010-10-01 03:39:36
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] VSS error event 12302
From: Machiel van Veen <mvv AT sentia DOT nl>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2010 09:36:37 +0200
On Thursday 30 September 2010 11:13:33 pm Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
> Machiel van Veen wrote:
> > Hello list,
> >
> > I've noticed event 12302  being reported on several Windows 2003 servers.
> >
> > "Volume Shadow Copy Service error: An internal inconsistency was detected
> > in trying to contact shadow copy service writers.  Please check to see
> > that the Event Service and Volume Shadow Copy Service are operating
> > properly."
> >
> > Even though this does not seem to be a Bacula specific issue but rather a
> > VSS issue. I would like to hear if anyone encountered this problem before
> > and knows how to solve it.
> >
> > Also, bacula reports the backups to be OK even though the VSS error
> > states the data is inconsistent. Does this mean the backups are actually
> > fine or do I have corrupted files in the backup now?
>
> Actually the report says there was an inconsistency detected internally; it
> doesn't say the data backed up is inconsistent -even though it is not
>  entirely unreasonable to assume the data is in fact inconsistent. For all
>  we know, the internal inconsistency detected had to do with what error
>  number to throw ;-)
>
> If in fact the data is inconsistent, VSS should fail since it's purpose is
> data consistency. That said, it should fail in ways that made everything on
> the data consuming side of VSS (such as Bacula) aware of such failure.
>
> FWIW, the symbolic name for this event seems to suggest that it is a write
> operation that fails, maintaining data consistency on the consuming side.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Jeroen van Meeuwen

I ran some tests and noticed while backing up a single file with a test job
the same errors came up while the file was perfectly fine after restoring it.
I agree with your conclusion, the data in the backup should be fine. Either
way I will try and fix the problem. There are quite a lot of possible
solutions for me to try so it should be fine.

Thanks, Machiel.