Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bconsole not properly installed

2010-06-30 09:58:09
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bconsole not properly installed
From: Paul Mather <paul AT gromit.dlib.vt DOT edu>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 09:54:49 -0400
On Jun 30, 2010, at 9:13 AM, Albin Vega wrote:

Hello

First let me say that I havent been using FreeBSD and Bacula before, so its all a bit new to me, and I might do some beginners mistakes.

 have installed Bacula server 5.0.0.1 on a FreeBsd 8 platform. Have followed the instructions on http://www.freebsddiary.org/bacula.php and have run all the scripts and have the bacula pids running. But now I have run into some trouble. When i try to start the bconsole on the terminal window I get the message "Command not found".

Be careful about following that guide: it is somewhat out of date.  (For example, the sysutils/bacula port no longer exists, as I'm sure you discovered.)

I then open Gnome and run the bconsole command in a treminal window. I get the message "Bconsole not properly installed"

I have located bconsole file in to places:

1.
/usr/local/share/bacula/bconsole

This script looks like this:
bacupserver# more /usr/local/share/bacula/bconsole
#!/bin/sh
which dirname >/dev/null
# does dirname exit?
if [ $? = 0 ] ; then
  cwd=`dirname $0`
  if [ x$cwd = x. ]; then
     cwd=`pwd`
  fi
  if [ x$cwd = x/usr/local/sbin ] ; then
     echo "bconsole not properly installed."
     exit 1
  fi
fi
if [ x/usr/local/sbin = x/usr/local/etc ]; then
   echo "bconsole not properly installed."
   exit 1
fi
if [ $# = 1 ] ; then
   echo "doing bconsole $1.conf"
   /usr/local/sbin/bconsole -c $1.conf
else
   /usr/local/sbin/bconsole -c /usr/local/etc/bconsole.conf
fi
Running this script returns message:
bconsole not properly installed.

2.
/usr/ports/sysutils/bacula-server/work/bacula-5.0.0/scripts/bconsole

This script looks like this:
bacupserver# more /usr/ports/sysutils/bacula-server/work/bacula-5.0.0/scripts/bconsole
#!/bin/sh
which dirname >/dev/null
# does dirname exit?
if [ $? = 0 ] ; then
  cwd=`dirname $0`
  if [ x$cwd = x. ]; then
     cwd=`pwd`
  fi
  if [ x$cwd = x/sbin ] ; then
     echo "bconsole not properly installed."
     exit 1
  fi
fi
if [ x/sbin = x/etc/bacula ]; then
   echo "bconsole not properly installed."
   exit 1
fi
if [ $# = 1 ] ; then
   echo "doing bconsole $1.conf"
   /sbin/bconsole -c $1.conf
else
   /sbin/bconsole -c /etc/bacula/bconsole.conf
fi

Runnig this script returns the message:
/usr/ports/sysutils/bacula-server/work/bacula-5.0.0/scripts/bconsole: /sbin/bconsole: not found

I then located the bconsole.conf file:
/usr/ports/sysutils/bacula-server/work/bacula-5.0.0/src/console/bconsole.conf
Tryed to manually move til to /etc/bacula but there is no /etc/bacula directory...

I am running out of ideas on what to do here. Enybody have any ideas on what to do? Would be very greatful I someone would point me in the right direction....

Did you install the sysutils/bacula-server port?  (I.e., did you do a "make install" in the /usr/ports/sysutils/bacula-server directory to build and install it?)  If you did, it should have installed bconsole for you under /usr/local.  In my case, it shows it to be installed under /usr/local/sbin:

backup# which bconsole
/usr/local/sbin/bconsole
backup# file /usr/local/sbin/bconsole
/usr/local/sbin/bconsole: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (FreeBSD), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for FreeBSD 8.0 (800505), not stripped

You shouldn't be trying to run the bconsole shell script; run /usr/local/sbin/bconsole directly.

Under FreeBSD, ports avoid putting configuration directories in the base operating system directories, to avoid polluting the base system.  The ports system tries to keep them separate, usually under /usr/local.  So, Bacula installed from ports on FreeBSD will not use /etc/bacula, it uses /usr/local/etc.  The bconsole installed knows to look in /usr/local/etc for configuration files.

Note, when you installed the Bacula server port, there will probably have been some messages about adding entries to /etc/rc.conf to ensure the Bacula daemons are run at system startup.  Also, there will have been information indicating that the configuration files for the daemons will have been installed in /usr/local/etc and will need to be edited to suit your local setup.

If you want to know what files were installed by the Bacula server port, you can use the following command: "pkg_info -L bacula-server-5.0.0_1"

Finally, Dan Langille is listed as the current maintainer of the sysutils/bacula-server port.  I believe Dan is subscribed to this list and sometimes posts.

Cheers,

Paul.