Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Upgraded bacula - now I have zero volumes

2010-06-29 10:49:35
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Upgraded bacula - now I have zero volumes
From: Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 10:47:16 -0400
On 06/29/10 04:21, vmos wrote:

> Hi there, I was forced to to an upgrade of debian etch to lenny, this
> upgraded my bacula and it attempted an automatic upgrade of the database.
> The upgrade failed (I think due to disk space problems) so the database was
> wrecked.
> I restored the database from yesterdays mysql dump but couldn't get bacula
> started.
> I found this link
> http://blog.mansonthomas.com/2010/05/bacula-upgrade-while-updating-ubuntu-to.html
>  it has a script to upgrade the database from v10 to v11 but in the bacula
> log i found a message saying "expected v10 got v9" so I figured that script
> wouldn't go.
>
> Now this sever was built at the beginning of april 2008 so I figured that the
> old version of bacula was probably 2.2.8 so I downloaded and compiled that.
> Now I can get to the console but when I do a list, I can see all the pools
> but they have zero volumes so I can't do a restore.
> There's quite a lot of them so starting from scratch isn't really an option.
>
> Also, at some point it stopped logging so I can't get anything from that
>
> any suggestions?

You have an extremely old Bacula catalog database created by an
extremely old Bacula installation.  I would do the following:

- Delete the corrupted catalog entirely.
- Restore the catalog again from your MySQL dump.
- Download the latest Bacula source.
- Successively run the series of DB upgrade scripts to upgrade your
catalog from v9 up to the current version (I'm not sure what Bacula
version Debian is shipping with lenny, but you need to go to v11 if it's
Bacula 3.x, v12 if it's Bacula 5).
- Start Bacula and check that it runs.

If, after doing this, you still show only a small number of your clients
listed or still cannot access your old volumes, you probably want to
restore your previous bacula-dir.conf and bacula-sd.conf and copy the
appropriate data, then restart Bacula.

If you're still having problems after that, then we can figure out what
needs doing next.

co.ordinate DOT org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.