Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] LTO-4 tape: only 20mb/sec when used with bacula

2010-06-20 19:24:09
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] LTO-4 tape: only 20mb/sec when used with bacula
From: Lukas Kolbe <l-lists AT einfachkaffee DOT de>
To: richard <richard AT sauce.co DOT nz>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 01:20:11 +0200
Am Montag, den 21.06.2010, 09:30 +1200 schrieb richard:
> Lukas Kolbe wrote:
> :
> >
> > I suppose it has something todo with the tapes' maximum blocksize being
> > higher than what Linux supports.
>
> I have the following in my sd with LTO4 attached and it runs at full
> speed from a drect attached RAID5
>
> Maximum block size = 262144
> Maximum Network Buffer Size = 65536
> Maximum File Size = 5GB
>

> No minimum  block size is specified.

Thanks for the hints. Changing the block sizes to the ones you mentioned
doesn't help unfortunatly.

Maybe it is a completely different problem: The backups are made to the
diskpool in parallel, from a few different clients. The SD writes them
to disk with about 200MiB/second as a whole and from 5 to 50 MiB/second
per job.  That means that a single job is fragmented in many Volumes.

I've just activated data spooling for the copy job, and even the
spooling process doesn't get faster than 20MiB/second while still
consuming one full cpu-core.

The volume size is 32GiB if that matters (I don't want to have too many
files in the diskpool).

I have no idea why bacula-sd consumes so much cpu-time and obviously
limits the throughput here.

Regards,
Lukas