Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] 11TB backup run out of memory and dies

2010-06-17 13:20:16
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] 11TB backup run out of memory and dies
From: Bruno Friedmann <bruno AT ioda-net DOT ch>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 19:16:43 +0200
On 06/17/2010 06:29 PM, ekke85 wrote:

> Hi
>
> This is more for the record then anything else. I manage to sort this out by
> the looks of things.
> First off I thought it must be something with the server so I replaced the
> server with an IBM xSiers 346 which has 2 quad core cpu's(Intel(R) Xeon(TM)
> CPU 2.80GHz) and 8GB of RAM. Installed Bacula 5.0.2 and kicked off a backup.
> Yet again after about 4 hours it ram out of memory and started killing off
> services.
> Then I found something about batch processing that Bacula does and this takes
> up a lot of memory trough mysql. I recompiled it and disabled batch
> processing with(--disable-batch-insert). It has now been backingup for 13
> hours with no problem.
> It is a bit slow(23mb/sec), but that is something ill look into later, or if
> someone has any suggestion please send them.
>
> Thanks for all your help guys!
>
> ekke85

As previously mentionned .. third reply to this thread ...

And as / is mounted ro I also suspect the batch-enabled creating a too big file
somewhere in /tmp that fill's up your /
causing all the trouble. as 11TB is lot's of file I suppose.

So I would put all /tmp /var/tmp ( usually I symling of them ) to somewhere
with a lot's of place ...
And I would perharps apply the same recipe to the spool place ...

--

     Bruno Friedmann

Ioda-Net Sàrl
  2830 Vellerat - Switzerland

  Tél : ++41 32 435 7171
  Fax : ++41 32 435 7172
  gsm : ++41 78 802 6760
  www.ioda-net.ch

 Centre de Formation et de Coaching En Ligne
 www.cfcel.com