Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] volume expiration dates

2010-06-16 02:39:20
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] volume expiration dates
From: "Timo Neuvonen" <timo-news AT tee-en DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 09:34:59 +0300
"Jeremiah D. Jester" <jjest AT u.washington DOT edu> kirjoitti viestissä
news:14C6C8313F1842459FAAD0B3FEB9E42C4AF9CEF9 AT ads-mbx-02.exchange.washington
DOT edu...
> What I'm trying to determine here is a onsite, offsite retention period.
> For example, when I send the tapes away when should I have them returned
> to me to add them in a blank tapes pool.  I realize that the Pool
> directive specifies Volume Retention days. Maybe I'm thinking about this
> wrong? Any advice would be appreciated.
> JJ

If I'm not mistaken, what you need for this purpose is "volume last written"
plus "volume retention time". The latter is a constant set by you, the first
is exactly known when you take the volume offsite.

This isn't the date when the volume actually will be needed for the next
write, but there isn't a simple algorithm to estimate the need more
precisely, and this criteria at least should fulfill the data safety
(offsite storage) requirement for a chosen backup policy.

The exact date when a spesific tape will be needed depends on how many
"extra" volumes you have etc, and requires a sort of fuzzy logic or an
educated guess to be determined. Waiting for until Bacula recycles the
volume would be too late, it won't happen until the volume is urgently
needed.

AFAIK, _after_ the volume retention has expired, the proper order to put the
volumes back to the tape library would be oldest "last written" goes first,
ie. the volume retention would be meaningless after it has expired.

--
TiN