Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula fails to backup jobs to Tape

2010-06-14 05:50:08
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula fails to backup jobs to Tape
From: Martin Simmons <martin AT lispworks DOT com>
To: niek.linnenbank AT industrial-tsi DOT com
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 10:47:02 +0100

> Hi Martin,
>
> We are running bacula 5.0.1-1ubuntu1 on Ubuntu Server 10.04. Tsi-vms01-fd is
> a dedicated machine which is used as our fileserver, and has the following
> ethernet card:
>
> Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5721 Gigabit Ethernet
> PCI Express (rev 21)
>
> The backup01-sd is a vmware virtual machine running on an ESX host, has a
> SCSI tape unit connected to it, and emulates this network card:
>
> Ethernet controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] 79c970 [PCnet32 LANCE] (rev
> 10)

Hmm, running it virtualized adds another layer of possible failure
unfortunately.

> Neither tsi-vms01-fd nor backup01-sd logged an error at the time the error
> occurred. I have tried Francisco's suggestion to use /dev/nst0 instead of
> /dev/st0, which also seems to work with btape test, but also throws the same
> I/O error at some point.
>
> Our tapes have a label written on it which says: 'IMB TotalStorage LTO
> Ultrium 400GB uncompressed, 800GB compressed'. The tape unit itself has a
> label 'IBM TotalStorage LTO Ultrium 3'. The fileserver job takes at least
> 500GB. I suspect that the tape gets full at some point, and that bacula
> doesn't detect this.

I don't know how a full tape would generate I/O error on the network.

Are you using spooling?  If not, add Spool Data = yes to the job config.

When spooling is on, try adding

Maximum Spool Size = 10000m

to the Device entry, which will make Bacula print some messages every 10GB
(you'll need 10GB of free disk space in the working dir on backup01-sd).  You
can then estimate the total bytes written to the tape before it fails by
counting the number of "Writing spooled data" lines in the output.

__Martin