Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] unload tape error

2010-06-08 15:34:19
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] unload tape error
From: Alan Brown <ajb2 AT mssl.ucl.ac DOT uk>
To: "Jeremiah D. Jester" <jjest AT u.washington DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2010 20:32:02 +0100
Jeremiah D. Jester wrote:
> I'm having problems simply unloading a tape from my changer. Also, not sure
> if the 'Hardware Error' is due to me addressing the device incorrectly or if
> there is actually an issue. No more info found in the logs. Any ideas?

> [root@monk bacula]# mtx -f /dev/sg3 unload /dev/sg3:1 2

This should be "mtx -f /dev/sg3 unload 2 0"

> [root@monk bacula]# mtx -f /dev/sg3 unload 2

In this case the 0 is implied

To unload the other drive would be "mtx -f /defv/sg3 unload 21 1"

try these with bacula-sd not running first.

If they work and you have trouble when bacula-sd is going, then make
sure you have released the tapes within bconsole before trying to move
them around - and if bacula itself is reporting problems then make sure
you have permisions set correctly for user bacula to execute commands
("su - bacula" and try mtx again)

The thread a month ago was about the tape drives not being unlocked
before bacula calls mtx - it's unknown if this is a bacula issue, a
hardware issue or a race condition at this point.