Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] ActionOnPurge=Truncate does not work automatically

2010-06-08 09:10:14
Subject: [Bacula-users] ActionOnPurge=Truncate does not work automatically
From: Marc Schiffbauer <marc AT schiffbauer DOT net>
To: Bacula Users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2010 15:08:02 +0200
Hi all,

maybe I have just some problems understanding the ActionOnPurge
feature.

In one of my file pools (VestaFtp) I have set

  Action On Purge = Truncate

I have updated existing volumes, so "actiononpurge" is set to 1 for
all volumes in the pool.

What is NOT working:
  * volumes are never truncated automatically by the storage daemon
    when it recycles a volume.
    Is it intended that recycled volumes will not be truncated before
    writing to them again?
  * volumes are never truncated if I manually purge them with bat
    for example

The only thing that DOES WORK is:
  * When I enter the following command in bconsole manually:

      purge volume action=truncate storage=vesta-sd pool=VestaFtp

    That way the storage deamon will truncate every vol with status
    "purged":

 [...]
 3000 OK label. VolBytes=197 DVD=0 Volume="FtpVol-0085" Device="FtpFileStorage"
(/mnt/backup)
 The volume "FtpVol-0085" has been truncated
 3000 OK label. VolBytes=197 DVD=0 Volume="FtpVol-0030" Device="FtpFileStorage"
(/mnt/backup)
 The volume "FtpVol-0030" has been truncated
 3000 OK label. VolBytes=197 DVD=0 Volume="FtpVol-0004" Device="FtpFileStorage"
(/mnt/backup)
 The volume "FtpVol-0004" has been truncated
 [...]

What is the "Action On Purge = Truncate" config option actually good for if
truncating of
volumes only happens on a manual purge with explicit "action=truncate"?

TIA
-Marc
--
8AAC 5F46 83B4 DB70 8317  3723 296C 6CCA 35A6 4134