Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] change tape status while backups are running

2010-06-02 18:44:41
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] change tape status while backups are running
From: Wolfgang Denk <wd AT denx DOT de>
To: Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2010 00:42:14 +0200
Dear Phil Stracchino,

In message <4C06C4C7.3030602 AT metrocast DOT net> you wrote:
> On 06/02/10 16:28, Jesse Angell wrote:
> > Is there some way I can force it to move onto the next tape mid-backup?
>
> Why would you want to do that?  Frankly, I'm having trouble imagining a
> scenario  in which you'd need to do this that cannot be handled better
> by fixing the Pool settings.

Here is one example:

Assume I have a big backup job running on Friday afternoon, and I
realize it's writing on the last tape in the library; it may take
hours to fill that tape, and I don't want to wait that long. On the
other hand, I don't want to job to stall until Monday when the tape
finally fills up.

If it was possible to signal a "tape full" condition, I could enforce
the insertion of a new magazine.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd AT denx DOT de
If something is different, it's either better or worse,  and  usually
both.                                                    - Larry Wall