Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] bscan-recovered catalogue not usable :-(

2010-06-02 16:02:18
Subject: [Bacula-users] bscan-recovered catalogue not usable :-(
From: Paul Mather <paul AT gromit.dlib.vt DOT edu>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2010 15:59:45 -0400
About three months ago I began using Bacula (5.0.0 on FreeBSD 8-STABLE),
initially backing up to disk, but with a view to backing up to tape in the near
future.  To keep things simple, I initially used Sqlite for the catalogue.
About a week ago, I decided to move to using PostgreSQL for the catalogue, as
the production system I intend to deploy will be backing up many more files
than the test deployment, and so I wanted to get some experience of Bacula +
PostgreSQL.

That's when it all went to hell in a hand basket. :-)

I rebuilt Bacula with PostgreSQL as the catalogue back-end.  I could not get
the sqlite2pgsql script to migrate my Sqlite catalogue successfully.  I then
tried to recover the catalogue into PostgreSQL from the volumes via bscan.
This was more successful, but I am still not left with working backups.

When I run a backup job, I get an e-mail intervention notice informing me
"Cannot find any appendable volumes."  When I listed my volumes of the job in
question, bscan had left the one and only volume in the "Archive" state.  So, I
changed this to "Append" using "update volume" in bconsole.  Unfortunately,
this status quickly reverted to "Error" when the job tried to run.  I believe
this is due to a mismatch between the volbytes size of the volume vs. the size
of the volume on the file system:

*list media pool=File
+---------+------------+-----------+---------+---------------+----------+--------------+---------+------+-----------+-----------+---------------------+
| mediaid | volumename | volstatus | enabled | volbytes      | volfiles |
volretention | recycle | slot | inchanger | mediatype | lastwritten         |
+---------+------------+-----------+---------+---------------+----------+--------------+---------+------+-----------+-----------+---------------------+
|       1 | TestVolume | Error     |       1 | 1,263,847,514 |        0 |
31,536,000 |       1 |    0 |         0 | File      | 2010-05-26 23:15:39 |
+---------+------------+-----------+---------+---------------+----------+--------------+---------+------+-----------+-----------+---------------------+

vs.

backup# ls -al /backups/bacula/TestVolume
-rw-r-----  1 bacula  bacula  1264553900 May 26 23:15 /backups/bacula/TestVolume

I would like to continue to use this volume for backups, as it is well under
the 5 GB maximum volume bytes set in the pool definition.  Is this an
unrealistic expectation for a bscan-recovered catalogue, or is there some
simple way to get this volume recognised as appendable again?  (Is the
expectation after bscan to start with a new volume?)

Is Bacula expected to act gracefully in the face of the loss/corruption of the
catalogue?

Cheers,

Paul.