Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] low despooling speeds when parallelism is increased

2010-06-02 07:05:56
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] low despooling speeds when parallelism is increased
From: Athanasios Douitsis <aduitsis AT noc.ntua DOT gr>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2010 14:02:47 +0300
On Wed, Jun 02, 2010 at 12:11:57PM +0200, Ralf Gross wrote:

> I've had the same problem. First I started with a simple 2 Disk RAID1
> as spool area for our 3 LTO-4 drives. With more jobs running in
> parallel this was simply not enought. In the end I put 6 WD Raptor
> SATA drives in the server, configured a large RAID10 and limited the
> number of concurrent jobs to 3. Now I get ~100 MB/s for each of the 3
> jobs.
>
> If you really need to run so many jobs concurrently put as many fast
> disks in the server as possible and configure them as RAID10. Maybe
> use SSD's instead of SATA/SAS Disk?
>
> Ralf

Hi Ralf, thanks for the response,

Tuning it down to 3+3 (from the original 6+6) seems to alleviate but not
solve the problem completely. I totaly agree with your suggestion, from
this point onwards it seems to be a case of finding a spooling setup
with enough I/O oomph.

One question however, in your setup you have limited your concurrent
jobs to 3 as in 3 jobs overall or as in 3 jobs per drive (9 overall)?

Best Regards,
Athanasios Douitsis,
National Technical University of Athens NOC