Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Database version problems caused Ubuntu 10.04 upgrade to abort

2010-05-12 06:23:31
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Database version problems caused Ubuntu 10.04 upgrade to abort
From: Foo <bfoo33 AT yahoo.co DOT uk>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 12:20:48 +0200
On Wed, 12 May 2010 00:15:53 +0200, David Edwards
<davidaedwards AT optusnet.com DOT au> wrote:

> Hi. I ran the Ubuntu 10.04 upgrade the other day (from 9.10) and it fell
> over at the bacula update stage. It was complaining about the database.
>
> So I'm guessing the DB upgrade hasn't worked.
>
> I've downloaded the 3.0.3 and 5.0.1 gzip files and extracted the
> updatedb directories. I can see lots of scripts to update the DB. My
> questions are
> 1. Do I need to update the DB from v10 to v11 before updating to v12?

Probably a good idea. I just did the same, went from 2.4.3 to 3.0.3, then
to 5.0.2. Used ./configure + options, make, src/cats/update_mysql_tables,
make install, then went on to next version and did the same (ran with
3.0.3 for a few days to check).

The first make will compile stuff so you need a compiler, but it will also
fill in the .in templates with your setup stuff. For your situation it's
probably best if you don't run make install, just configure, make and the
table update script from 3.0.3, then do the same with 5.0.2, then use
aptitude to install the official package.

The various generic update scripts check what db you have, I just ran the
mysql one directly. You may need to run the scripts as root or add your db
pass somewhere (maybe as a command line argument), not sure about that.