Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Questions about using bacula with a d2d device

2010-05-11 16:58:31
Subject: [Bacula-users] Questions about using bacula with a d2d device
From: Sean Carolan <scarolan AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 15:55:41 -0500
We have an HP d2d4112 system that presents a virtual tape changer to
our host that is running Bacula.  The virtual tapes from the d2d can
be copied onto physical ones via an attached LTO-1840 tape drive.  My
questions in this case would be:

1.  Suppose I have to pull an older physical tape from storage and do
a restore from it.  Assume that bacula has already recycled the
virtual tape that this physical tape was copied from.  If I copy the
physical tape back onto a different virtual slot, will Bacula be able
to read the label and do a restore from it?

2.  Is there a way to have Bacula always start full backups on a new
volume, instead of appending?  I want the incremental jobs to append
to this volume after the full backup job is done.  Basically I'm
trying to avoid splitting a full backup across two tapes, while
keeping the incremental backup files together with the full backup.

thanks

Sean