Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Upgrade path from 2.4.x to 5.0.x

2010-05-07 11:10:53
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Upgrade path from 2.4.x to 5.0.x
From: Foo <bfoo33 AT yahoo.co DOT uk>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 07 May 2010 17:08:25 +0200
On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 15:25:57 +0200, Martin Simmons <martin AT lispworks DOT com>
wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 14:15:35 +0200, Foo  said:
>
>> Is Bacula 2.4.4 dir/sd compatible with a newer database layout (11, 12,
>> whatever?) or do I need to update the dir/sd executables at the same
>> time?
>
> They are incompatible so you must do it at the same time.  I suggest
> making a
> dump of the database first, because there is no way to undo the update
> scripts.

Thanks, upgraded database to version 11 and dir/sd/fd 2.4.3 on server to
3.0.3,
left other clients on 2.4.4, so far everything working fine.

Will probably do the same to 5.0.2 next week and then look at upgrading
clients.

> I think you need to run configure with the appropriate args, rather than
> make.
>
> It might be easier to do it by hand, replacing @SQL_BINDIR@ and
> @db_name@ by
> the appropriate values (something like /usr/bin and bacula).

configure turned out to be easier :) As before with 2.4.3 I just can't get
readline instead of conio compiled into bconsole, but it's not a huge loss.

->8-
On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 15:57:44 +0200, Matija Nalis <mnalis+bacula AT carnet DOT
hr>
wrote:

   > The issue is in MySQL, as its algorithm sometimes chooses terribly
   > wrong index, so SELECT times go up easily from 5 minutes to more than
   > 20 hours.

That would not be very nice in the middle of an emergency when it's needed
most urgently. Is there a standardized way to crossgrade to postgres
without losing all your current backups? I need to upgrade since staying
with 3.x would mean that new installations with newer clients in their
repos would need to be downgraded and that outside their regular packaging
systems too.

I suppose you would need to install the pgsql packages, configure and make
Bacula for postgres and run some convert db script before using make
install?