Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Maximum concurrent jobs for devices

2010-05-03 12:32:56
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Maximum concurrent jobs for devices
From: mangabbs AT hotmail DOT com
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 18:34:42 +0200
> On 05/03/10 08:35, John Drescher wrote:
> > On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 8:16 AM,  <mangabbs AT hotmail DOT com> wrote:
> >> Greetings,
> >>
> >> I'm using Bacula  Version: 5.0.1 (24 February 2010) x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
> >> over Gentoo Linux. I've upgraded to be able to use some new features
> >> such as "Maximum Concurrent Jobs" for devices. Actually it seems to does
> >> not work (at least for me!). If I start 2 different jobs at the same
> >> time the 2nd is waiting to reserve a drive.
> >>
> >> If I try to get status for storage from bconsole during the jobs I get:
> >>
> >> Running Jobs:
> >> Writing: Full Backup job BACKUP-vps-serverone JobId=742
> >> Volume="VOLUME-Full- vps-serverone-0362"
> >>    pool="POOL-FULL-vps-serverone" device="bkp12-disk" (/bacula)
> >>    spooling=0 despooling=0 despool_wait=0
> >>    Files=1,634 Bytes=34,226,389 Bytes/sec=2,139,149
> >>    FDReadSeqNo=13,839 in_msg=9397 out_msg=5 fd=5
> >> Writing: Full Backup job BACKUP-vps-servertwo JobId=743
> >> Volume="VOLUME-Full- vps-serverone-0362"
> >>    pool="POOL-FULL-vps-servertwo" device="bkp12-disk" (/bacula)
> >>    spooling=0 despooling=0 despool_wait=0
> >>    Files=0 Bytes=0 Bytes/sec=0
> >>    FDSocket closed
> >> ====
> >>
> >> Jobs waiting to reserve a drive:
> >>   3608 JobId=743 wants Pool="POOL-FULL-vps-servertwo" but have
> >> Pool="POOL- FULL-vps-serverone" nreserve=0 on drive "bkp12-disk"
> >> (/bacula). ====
> >
> > The problem is each job uses a different pool and only 1 volume can be
> > loaded in a device at a time so the second job has to wait.
>
> If it's a hard requirement that the two jobs use separate pools, you
> could create a second disk storage device on the same physical device.
>
> You could also possibly look into using the vchanger.

Thank you Phil, the first solution sound nice to me. I am trying to use the
configuration described here: http://www.bacula.org/5.0.x-
manuals/en/main/main/Basic_Volume_Management.html (it looks like the same you
suggested, the only difference is that I use the same folder for all devices).

I've setup all my "alias devices" to use the same folder /bacula to get the
tapes. But the storage daemon seems to does not recognize the old tapes
created from different devices on previous jobs, because with storage status
from console I get:

Device "bkp12-disk-e" (/bacula) is not open.
    Device is BLOCKED waiting to create a volume for:
       Pool:        POOL-FUL-bkp13
       Media type:  File12e

It looks like very strange to me, because if I restart the job o the original
device it work as expected. Both devices are on the same storage daemon and
use the same folder.

What can be?

Thank you for all your support!!

Lorenzo